It wasn’t easy as Liverpool’s second string struggled to beat Arsenal’s second string in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.
Divock Origi was the hero once again and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain scored a cracker. Here are some interesting facts from the game…
- Liverpool conceded five goals in a home match for only the second time in the last 66 years – the other occasion was also against Arsenal, in a 6-3 defeat in the League Cup in January 2007.
- This was the highest scoring match in the League Cup since a 6-6 draw between Dagenham & Redbridge and Brentford in August 2014.
- Liverpool vs Arsenal is now the highest scoring fixture in the history of the League Cup, with 47 goals scored in their 15 meetings.
- This was the highest scoring draw between two Premier League teams since West Brom and Manchester United drew 5-5 in May 2013 in Sir Alex Ferguson’s final game in charge of the Red Devils.
- Liverpool have won more penalty shootouts in the League Cup than any other team in the history of the competition (eight).
- Only two Premier League teams have conceded more home goals in all competitions this season than Liverpool (13 goals conceded) – Norwich City (14) and Southampton (19).
- This was the first time a team managed by Jurgen Klopp have conceded five goals in a home game since September 2009, when his Borussia Dortmund side lost 5-1 to Bayern Munich in a Bundesliga game.
- Gabriel Martinelli has found the net in all four of his starts for Arsenal in all competitions, scoring seven goals; the Brazilian is the top-scoring teenager for a club in the top-five European leagues this season.
- Liverpool have conceded 13 goals at Anfield in just seven games this season in all competitions – only one fewer than they conceded in 26 home matches last season (14 goals).
- This was the highest scoring League Cup match between two Premier League teams since Arsenal’s 7-5 win over Reading in October 2012.
- Since his debut for Arsenal in September 2013, Mesut Özil has assisted 70 goals for the Gunners in all competitions – 28 more than any other player.