After Liverpool’s victory over Chelsea in Istanbul, we’ve gathered some interesting facts about the Super Cup…
- Only Barcelona and AC Milan (5) have won the UEFA Super Cup more often than Liverpool (4).
- Chelsea have now been runners-up in three consecutive UEFA Super Cup appearances (2012, 2013 and 2019) – only Barcelona and Sevilla (4 each) have been runners-up on more occasions.
- This was the 11th match between Liverpool and Chelsea in European competition, making it the most played European fixture between two sides from the same nation.
- With the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, this was the fifth time in the last seven seasons that the UEFA Super Cup has gone to extra time or penalties.
- Liverpool became the first Premier League club to be involved in two penalty shootouts in the same month since Middlesbrough in February 2007.
- Olivier Giroud has scored 12 goals in 16 appearances in European competition for Chelsea, compared to just seven goals in 49 domestic games for the Blues.
- Liverpool’s Sadio Mané became the first African player to score in the UEFA Super Cup since Frederic Kanoute for Sevilla vs Barcelona in 2006.