As the New Year’s Eve hangovers wane, we prepare for Monday night’s massive Premier League clash at Anfield.
With Arsenal slipping again on Sunday – this time a 2-1 defeat at Fulham, Jurgen Klopp’s men can extend their lead at the top of the table to three clear points over Aston Villa, who are now second.
We crunch the numbers ahead of tonight’s match…
- Liverpool are unbeaten in all 14 Premier League games against Newcastle since a 2-0 defeat at St James’ Park in December 2015
- Newcastle are without a win in 27 away matches at Liverpool in all competitions (D5, L22). They last won at Anfield in the League Cup fourth round in November 1995, while their only Premier League victory at Anfield came in April 1994.
- All three previous New Year’s Day league meetings between these clubs were top-flight home matches for Newcastle, who won two and drew the other.
- Liverpool dropped points in their opening league game in each of the previous three years, losing at Southampton in 2021 and Brentford in 2023, either side of a 2-2 draw at Chelsea in 2022.
- Liverpool could lose their opening league match in consecutive years for the first time since 1953 and 1954.
- The Reds’ only defeat in the last 30 Premier League fixtures was at Spurs in September (W19, D10).
- Jurgen Klopp’s side have earned a league-high 19 points from losing positions so far this season.
- Mo Salah has scored nine goals in 11 Premier League appearances against teams managed by Eddie Howe.
- Alisson Becker is poised to make his 250th appearance for the club.