After Saturday evening’s exciting Club World Cup Final victory in Doha, we bring you some interesting facts about the big game…
- Liverpool have become the second English side to win the FIFA Club World Cup, and the first since Manchester United in 2008.
- Flamengo are the fourth Brazilian club to finish as FIFA Club World Cup runners-up (also Vasco da Gama in 2000, Santos in 2011 and Grêmio in 2017); no other nation has had more second-place finishes (level with Argentina).
- This was only the fourth FIFA Club World Cup final to go to extra-time, after 2000, 2009 and 2016.
- European sides have now won 12 of the last 13 Club World Cup tournaments, including each of the last seven consecutively.
- This was only the second time an English side defeated Brazilian opposition in a competitive fixture, after Manchester United’s 1-0 win over Palmeiras in the 1999 Inter-Continental Cup final.
- Just two of the last 10 Club World Cup finals have seen both teams score, with the winning finalist keeping a clean sheet on eight occasions in the past 10 years of the competition.
- Roberto Firmino has scored in back-to-back appearances for Liverpool in all competitions for the first time since January, netting the winning goal in both of their matches at the 2019 FIFA Club World Cup.
- Sadio Mane has been directly involved in more goals in all competitions in 2019 than any other Liverpool player (38 – 30 goals, 8 assists), with only Raheem Sterling (44) and Sergio Aguero (39) involved in more among players for all Premier League clubs this calendar year.